Pages

Subscribe

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

WebOS 2.0 from a developer's point of view

Since HP bought Palm, I've been looking into webOS, and I have to say it's impressive. Not least from the perspective of a web developer like me.

This is because the SDK is powered by web technologies - HTML, CSS and Javascript

Here's a quick rundown:

but also you can include C or C++ libraries (plugins) with the use of the PDK so using OpenGL the creation of 3d apps and games should be a snap for any decent developer (still a bit over my head though)


So with webOS 2.0 that's coming soon, web developers will be able to write services that run on webOS devices using the node.js runtime environment.

Here are some more details on webOS 2.0:

If I had spare cash (which I don't - who does these days?) I would get me a palm device and get programming..... but then I'm still waiting for my Android device as well !!

P.S. The webOS emulator uses virtualbox so should theoretically be a lot faster than the Android Emulator which I found extremely unusable. But I haven't tried the webOS emulator yet so it's just speculation.

No comments: